November 8, 2007

Doing laundry is a dream, dream, dream!, says PlaySkool's toy house.

I don't know about you, but my holiday season doesn't being until a major corporation tells me it does! With the annual advent of Starbucks releasing their iconic holiday red cups, I thought I’d share with you the ho-ho-horrible toy that has already hit our shelves: Rose Petal Cottage, where your little girl's imagination can run free as she does the laundry, cooks dinner, shines the floor, and irons clothes.



The subliminal conditioning of children to conform to gender roles is nothing new, just ask Barbie and GI Joe. There's nothing wrong with being a homemaker by one's own chosing. Homemaking is more than cutesy muffins and window-washing. It's a commitment. However, when women become homemakers because they feel it's there duty, because they feel it's their place in the kitchen, because they have no other options, because crappy toys tell them there's something wrong with them when they don't, there's a problem.

And it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I see your point.
But, my niece loves this sort of thing, cleaning, taking care of dolls/ stuffed animals and making muffins (or cupcakes, whatever they were), much like the girls in the ad. I really dont think that the toy makers are trying to feminize their product, I think their just trying to appeal to the kids, who, in this case, are mostly girls.

Emily said...

I agree with you on everything except for this: "because they have no other options". It's my opinion, observation, idea that most stay at home moms do it because they want to be at home with their kids. Maybe this isn't the case, but I think it's more that they prefer THIS option, and not that they have no options left but this.