November 4, 2007

Quoth the Clinton, "This Means War!"



Most of the time, I really do love Hillary Clinton, but not when she's talking like this:

"I don't think they're piling [critiques] on because I'm a woman, I think they're piling on because I'm winning.. I anticipate it's going to get even hotter. And if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and I'm very much at home in the kitchen."

Clinton's remark to reporters interviewing her in New Hampshire, where she visited to place her name officially on the ballet, was in very poor taste. She tries to project a more stereotypically feminine image to appeal to more traditional, conservative voters, and I cannot deny that Clinton's experiences as a mother and wife have shaped her.

However, by making this remark, I feel like Clinton is spitting in the face of female, feminist voters who are voting for her not only because they like her ideas, but because she is a strong woman who doesn't let the bastards grind her down. I wouldn't vote for a "strong" women if she treated gender roles like one big joke. While I do think this was merely a slip-up on Clinton's part, I think she should stop playing the gender card. I like her for her politics, not her pies!

You don't see Barack Obama talking about the slave trade, do you?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I wonder if this quote was merely taken out of context though. Was it meant to be a joke on women roles, was it meant to show that she is both a homemaker as well as strong leader, or was it just to show that she can deal with the heat as well as carry a metaphor?

Anonymous said...

I believe she was asked about the about of negative feedback she gets from other candidates (and their wives *coughElizabethEdwardscough*).

Anonymous said...

i agree with emily, i thinl she juts meant that kitchens get really hot when ppl cook, not nessecarily meaning that becaseu she is a women that her role is in the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Jevne,
Clinton did explicitly say, "And if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and I'm very much at home in the kitchen."

And next time, please make an effort to use proper spelling and grammar. Thanks!

Unknown said...

o sry, i hadn't seen that.

ok, to clarify , i also think she meant that she was comforatble with the postion of her in the lead for president or whatever and she'd be comfortable being president.