January 22, 2008

Why I am Pro-Choice

(This post is in conjunction with "Blog For Choice", which commemorates the 35th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade.)

Why am I pro-choice?

  • When an inalienable matter of bodily integrity is called into question, I can't be passive.
  • When the opposition dismisses me simply because I am a "heathen murderer", without listening to my opinions, I can't be passive.
  • When sexism is rampant and manifested in the law, I can't be passive.
  • When the rights of women are being limited, and we are sent to the streets to die, I can't be passive.
And I suppose what it really comes down to is: Why am I not pro-choice?

As a young woman with many more years to live, my opportunities are spread out before me, free for me to choose. Why can't my rights be the same way?

No comments: